Public Affairs Senior Associate Director
About Hill & Knowlton
Hill & Knowlton is the global strategic communications leader for transformation. We help brands, businesses and leaders build reputation, manage risk, and create breakthrough opportunities for growth. Founded in 1927, today's Hill & Knowlton operates 70 offices in over 30 countries, providing advisory, public relations and creative solutions to local and global clients. Our global team offers integrated strategic services, grounded in deep sector expertise, and enabled by creativity and intelligence. Headquartered in New York, Hill & Knowlton is part of WPP, one of the world's largest communications services groups.
Hill & Knowlton's Technology, Entertainment & Commerce practice is looking to recruit a public affairs Senior Associate Director to join our thriving team of 65+ consultants. You will lead client mandates, drive new business, and support the vision and direction of the practice as we continue to grow public affairs in our sectors.
Our client portfolio sits at the heart of the most fundamental issues in emerging policy. You will work with some of the most exciting technology companies in the world, such as Spotify, Ikea, Dell Technologies, and the Coalition for App Fairness, on policies around AI, data, digital competition, digital inclusion and more. This is a senior role playing an active part in developing the policies that will set the future of our relationship with technology. The role will focus on UK-wide public affairs work as well as global technology policy.
The successful candidate will be a well-connected public affairs lead, with a background in driving successful campaigns for clients within the Technology, Entertainment and Commerce industries. You will have an interest in the policies shaping the UK's digital future, such as cybersecurity, connectivity, and online safety. Agency experience is desirable, and experience understanding Westminster is essential.
You will lead strategic planning and transformative, creative idea generation utilising your strong public affairs network. You will also support the MDs and Heads of Practice across operations and people management.
We're seeking a master storyteller with a passion for public affairs with a technology lens and complement the team's values by being ambitious, creative, culture creators, kind and supportive. You must also demonstrate financial acumen and empathic leadership skills.
THE ROLE & RESPONSIBILITIES
We are looking to recruit a dynamic public affairs Senior Associate Director, to lead existing public affairs mandates and to drive the development of our public affairs offer within the Technology, Entertainment & Commerce practice. You will also play a role in the growth of the agency's wider public affairs community, working with our Head of Public Affairs.
- Leading current public affairs mandates, taking responsibility for independently managing the client relations, providing strategic advice and leading a team to deliver effectively day-to-day.
- Overseeing quality control across our content, ensuring it is of the highest quality and delivers on the brief, acting as core line of approval.
- Providing political insight about UK Technology policy
- Generating and leading public affairs new business pitches and proposals, as well as driving growth within existing mandates
- Supporting the Group Managing Director of Technology, Entertainment & Commerce and Heads of these practices in the development of our public affairs proposition
- Managing the financial profitability of your client portfolio, overseeing budget monitoring, revenue forecasting and planning, client budgets and fee negotiation
- Leading a team of public affairs consultants within the Technology, Entertainment & Commerce practice, coaching and developing their skill set to support the growth of the team
- A proven and established track record of UK public affairs consultancy with excellent political analysis and insight
- Ability to provide counsel with confidence and professionalism on public affairs strategies, stakeholder engagement and content strategies
- Be a trusted advisor to clients, quickly building effective relationships, adding value to client relationships and helping clients achieve their business objectives
- Experience leading proactive campaigns to engage politicians, policy-makers and other stakeholders, and doing that in the broader context of a growing number of channels through which to reach those audiences
- Deep knowledge of the global and political trends affecting the Technology sector, particularly with regards to anti-trust, digital regulation and online safety
- Demonstrable commercial acumen, ensuring the profitability and effective financial management of accounts
- Strong mentoring and leadership skills to encourage a high performing and highly motivated team, with proven team management experience
KEY H&K BENEFITS
- 25 days & (3 days at Christmas) annual leave
- Comprehensive health insurance (Bupa)
- SMART pension scheme
- WPP employee discount scheme
- Group life assurance scheme
- Enhanced maternity & paternity scheme
- Vouchers & extra day's holiday for key milestone anniversaries
- Our dedicated interactive training academy - 'The Hub'
- Cycle to work scheme
- Wellness programmes
- Weekly social events
- 2 x volunteer days per year
- Additional wellness days off for active commuting
OUR LONDON OFFICE
H&K employs over 300 people in the UK, and our stunning Southwark offices run over two floors as part of the larger WPP Campus, Rose Court. We have access to a beautiful roof terrace withpanoramic views across London and a bar/restaurant area, which is a great spot for client meetings and socialising with the wider agency and other WPPOpCo's.
We pride ourselves on creating a diverse and inclusive culture where everyone belongs.As a company and as co-workers, we are building a workplace where everyone can reach their full potential. We are an inclusive employer and are happy to consider flexible working arrangements.
We believe diversity is strength. Our Commitment at Hill & Knowlton is to combine our employees unique backgrounds, perspective, and experiences to build a more diverse and inclusive organisation that represents all of us and the businesses we work with. We encourage applications from people of all backgrounds and will consider all applicants regardless of age, gender identity ethnicity, religion or belief, sexual orientation, family or parental status, neurodiversity, and disability status. We are also happy to provide reasonable adjustments during the application and interview process. Please refer to our Diversity, Equity + Inclusion Recruitment Charter to understand more about H&K's commitments here.
H&K is Disability Confident Committed and a Dyslexia SMART organisation. If you require any adjustments to the application or interview process with us, please don't hesitate to email
For more information on H&K: